Taking care of your hair is an essential part of your daily life. Your hair is one of the primary factors that define your personality and looks, and going by the fact that issues such as pollution, stress and climate change are on an all-time high, it has become more important than ever to cater to the needs of your hair. Correspondingly, you also need to tend to your scalp as it is to hair what soil is to plants.
Organisms such as fungi prefer dead tissue such as hair, nails and the outer layers of the skin. These fungi, more specifically called dermatophytes, thrive in warmth and moisture. Thus, your hair and scalp become a hotbed for dermatophytes and as they form their hub in your hair, you develop fungal infections such as ringworm and severely itchy, scaly and bothersome skin. These conditions are contagious and can take a turn for the worse if you end up meddling with the affected areas. Therefore, it become a priority to get rid of any potential fungal infections in your hair and scalp on immediate notice.
The significance of keeping the infected area clean and getting rid of any developing infection cannot be stressed enough. Perhaps the best way to do the same is by the means of antifungal shampoos. These shampoos aren’t too much different from your regular shampoos, but they are equipped with ingredients that are formulated to combat the effects of fungal infection in your hair.
These shampoos can be employed for regular use and can even be used by people who have nothing to do with fungal infections. The administration of these shampoos to your hair forms a protective layer which avoids the generation of fungal infections.
As always, we have checked out all the relevant antifungal shampoos available in the market and have consequently enlisted the 5 best ones for you. We would strongly recommend you to switch your current brand of shampoo to one of these marvels! Let us get on with the list.
- 1 Antifungal Shampoos
- 2 5 Best Antifungal Shampoos for your hair and scalp
- 2.1 Healthy Hair Plus Antifungal Shampoo
- 2.2 Nizoral A-D Shampoo
- 2.3 Brooklyn Botany Tea Tree Oil Shampoo
- 2.4 Wow Apple Cider Vinegar Antifungal Shampoo
- 2.5 Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo
5 Best Antifungal Shampoos for your hair and scalp
Healthy Hair Plus Antifungal Shampoo
This is probably the best antifungal shampoo that you can get for yourself. It is noted to not have any active ingredients and is an excellent shampoo even for sensitive skin. The main components of this shampoo include sulfur, coconut oil, grapefruit extract, silk protein, panthenol, glycerine, emu oil and jojoba oil. Such a heady mixture of components gives you a truly revolutionary shampoo that tackles all fungal infections in your hair. Let us explore the contribution of each of these components:
- Emu oil: Emu oil is a well known antiseptic and anti-bacterial component that penetrates deeply into the roots of the hair to promote growth and eradicates all the residue from the scalp and the hair roots while also providing anti-inflammatory characteristics. This helps itchiness and makes your hair more manageable.
- Jojoba oil: This is the closest match to the natural oil of the skin- sebum. It regulates the sebaceous glands of the scalp and avoid dryness.
- Coconut oil: The fatty acids (such as caprylic acid) found in coconut oil have outstanding antifungal and antibacterial properties. It also moisturizes the hair and leaves it shining and healthy.
- Grapefruit extract: It is an excellent antioxidant and promotes the growth of healthy hair.
- Sulfur: Sulfur is widely recognized as a strong antifungal agent.
- Silk protein, panthenol and glycerine: They are helpful in strengthening the hair and creating a protective barrier over it.
Pros and Cons of Healthy Hair Plus Antifungal Shampoo:
- It does not contain parabens or sulfates. There are no harmful chemicals that can damage your hair.
- It keeps your hair moisturized and manageable.
- It helps in restoring normal skin tone.
- The shampoo has a very pleasant fragrance.
- It works very quickly.
- The shampoo helps in minimizing the issues of your hair and scalp, but is not a cure as such.
This antifungal shampoo is one of the best and is proven to be supremely effective for tackling fungal infections. It is armed with some of the most powerful hair care products and the results start showing up in no time.
Nizoral A-D Shampoo
The Nizoral A-D Shampoo is a very effective anti-dandruff shampoo that doubles up as an equally effective antifungal shampoo as well. The main ingredient of this shampoo is ketoconazole, a powerful component that attaches itself to the protein of your hair and combats dandruff and fungi.
Based on the percentage of ketoconazole, the shampoo can be classified into two types:
1. With 1% of ketoconazole, this shampoo does not require a medical prescription and is thus an over the counter antifungal shampoo.
2. With 2% ketoconazole, this shampoo requires a doctor’s prescription.
The Nizoral A-D shampoo that we are talking about here is the 1% ketoconazole variant. It is a strong shampoo that demolishes the fungi present in your hair and scalp while also reducing itchiness and scaling to a considerable extent.
Pros and Cons of Nizoral A-D Shampoo
- The shampoo contains ketoconazole, a strong ingredient which works on both dandruff and fungi.
- It also works on eczema.
- It reduces itchiness and scaling.
- The shampoo works on all types of hair, including gray hair.
- It is clinically proven to be effective.
- The smell of the shampoo can be a bit bothersome for some.
- It cannot be used by children.
This 1% ketoconazole shampoo should be used twice per day and you can expect to see results in quick notice. It addresses many problems in the hair and makes your hair more manageable.
Brooklyn Botany Tea Tree Oil Shampoo
The Brooklyn Botany Tea Tree Oil shampoo is arguably the best natural ingredients boosted shampoo. It is gentle and can be used daily on all hair types. It consists of keratin, the natural protein appearing in the outer layer of the skin, hair and nail. Therefore, it naturally merges with the hair and scalp and provides effective treatment. It also contains Moroccan and Argan oil which aids in moisturizing the hair and driving away dandruff and fungi. The antioxidants present in the oil revitalizes the hair and makes it voluminous. It can be used on all hair types and by everyone, including children. It is indeed a very good shampoo for daily use.
Pros and Cons of Brooklyn Botany Tea Tree Oil Shampoo
- The shampoo can also be used by children.
- It is gentle and can be used daily.
- Combats dryness and itchiness very effectively with its superior moisturizing capability.
- The shampoo works on all types of hair, including gray and colored hair.
- It takes a lot of quantity of the shampoo to work up a good lather.
- The smell can be too strong for some.
This is a very good shampoo for working on fungi and dandruff and the presence of tea tree oil in the shampoo, which is already known to be super effective on hair, makes it a very popular option.
Wow Apple Cider Vinegar Antifungal Shampoo
The strong acidic combo of apple cider and vinegar couples up as a strong agent against any form of potential fungal infection in the hair and scalp. It strengthens your hair and removes toxins completely, making it impossible for fungi to thrive. In addition, the shampoo also contains coconut oil, avocado oil, keratin proteins, vitamin B5 and E, fatty acids and saw palmetto extract to moisturize, replenish and repair the hair and scalp thoroughly. Such a wonderful and exhaustive cocktail of natural ingredients make it one of the best shampoos (and not just an antifungal shampoo) out there. It truly makes us go wow!
Pros and Cons of Wow Apple Cider Vinegar Antifungal Shampoo :
- The shampoo is an all-in-one package by proving a wide range of benefits.
- It can be used daily and is suitable for all types of hair.
- It gathers up into a lather pretty easily and quickly.
- The shampoo has a wonderful fragrance.
- It is very effective on literally all types of hair issues.
- It takes a little bit of time to show results.
The Wow shampoo is probably our favorite from the lot because of its versatility and amazing performance. It takes some time to show complete results but patience is a great virtue and the reward for your patience will be totally worth it!
Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo
This antifungal shampoo by Neutrogena is a thick and strong gel based shampoo that is renown for being effective from a single use. It treats all types of hair and scalp conditions be it fungal infection, dandruff, psoriasis etc. It is suitable for daily use and has long-lasting effects. The icing on the cake is that is shows amazing results. It is of no surprise going by the fact that Neutrogena is known to have some of the best products in the market.
Pros and Cons of Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo :
- The shampoo works incredibly quickly with results starting to show from just a single use.
- It can be used daily and is suitable for all types of hair.
- It addresses a large number of hair and scalp conditions.
- The shampoo contains 1% coal tar extract, an ingredient that is well known to provide supremely effective therapy for the scalp, and is recognized by the National Psoriasis Foundation.
- A minimal quantity can be used for a single use and hence, the shampoo will last for a long period of time.
- It has a characteristic tar smell which may be bothersome.
- The shampoo is thick and needs a considerable amount of water to properly spread it all over your hair.
This incredible shampoo works super quick and utilizes a very small amount of quantity for effective usage. The 1% coal extract works wonders while bearing a bothersome smell. The smell aside, the shampoo is recognized by the reputed National Psoriasis Foundation and is thereby, a very strong shampoo that you are going to have a great time using.
Antifungal shampoos are revolutionary hair care products that you can inculcate into your daily regimen. You can replace your regular shampoo brands with any of these. By following the directions of usage properly, you can achieve an exhaustive range of benefits by employing these shampoos.
The best part about the antifungal shampoos is that they not only combat fungal infections but also effectively deal with dandruff, psoriasis, eczema etc. Each and every one of these shampoos serve the purpose with elan and we love all of them equally. That said, we liked the Wow Apple Cider Vinegar antifungal shampoo and the Brooklyn Botany Tea Tree Oil shampoo a bit more than the others due to the wonderful mixture of ingredients that they boast of. We are by no means implying that these two work better than the others. It’s just that we enjoyed using them more. We can bet on the fact you are going to enjoy taking a shower and shampooing your hair more than ever courtesy of these marvelous antifungal shampoos!