A snow white smile is an essential part of the iconic ”Hollywood look”. Everybody likes it, everybody wants it, but few know how to get one. Moreover, a lot of people don’t have the slightest idea why teeth lose their whiteness as time goes by.
We’ll start with this basic piece of information for one reason: if you fail to learn it, no matter how expensive your whitening procedures will be, your teeth won’t stay white and beautiful for long.
So grab your pencil, start taking notes, and let’s go!
- 1 Top 5 reasons why your teeth aren’t as white as you’d like:
- 2 Best At Home Blue LED Light Teeth Whitening Product Reviews
- 3 Teeth whitening at home: is it possible at all?
- 4 Teeth whitening kits: how do the work? Are they safe?
- 5 The 5 Best Teeth Whitening Kits You Can Buy At Amazon
- 5.1 AuraGlow Teeth Whitening Kit:
- 5.2 Cali White Teeth Whitening Kit :
- 5.3 Active Wow Teeth Whitening – Premium Kit :
- 5.4 Crest 3D White Whitestrips With Light:
- 5.5 Shine Whitening Teeth Whitening Kit:
- 6 Conclusion
Top 5 reasons why your teeth aren’t as white as you’d like:
- Some people have naturally white teeth, some other folks have a yellowish smile, and that’s actually a natural thing, unique to every person. The initial color of human enamel varies from a slightly yellow hue to a bluish white, and all options between these two are healthy and normal. This is important to remember because people with naturally yellowish teeth should pay much more attention to their oral hygiene, eating and drinking habits, as they are much less likely to retain teeth whiteness.
- Chemical staining (coffee, black tea, wine). More than half of Americans drink coffee every day, in an amount of about 3 cups daily. Tea and wine aren’t as popular, but there’s one thing these three drinks have in common: they are powerful dyes that gradually stain the enamel of your teeth over the years. Of course, you won’t notice the difference after a single cup but the damage adds up over the years. A simple lifehack to minimize the effect of coffee and tea on your teeth is to rinse your mouth with a bit of water after every cup of these drinks.
- The tar present in cigars and cigarettes is another extremely powerful staining agent. Have you ever noticed that smokers have slightly yellowish fingers on their ”smoking” hand? Well, the same thing happens to their teeth. The stronger the cigarettes, the more impact they’ll have on the smoker’s teeth. Quit smoking today: whiter teeth is just one of the countless benefits you’ll get from this change.
- Compulsive oral habits. Some people bite their nails, others nibble on pens and pencils when stressed out—all of these habits have a terrible impact on the enamel. Microdamage to the enamel surface leaves it with tiny scratches and defects that will capture coloring chemicals from foods and drinks. Smooth enamel is much less likely to retain dyes.
- Neglected oral hygiene. What do you do with stained clothes? That’s right, you throw them into the washing machine and get rid of the stains. In a similar manner, you have to regularly clean your teeth to get rid of the everyday stains that we deal with on a regular basis. If you don’t clean something, it gets dirty. If you don’t brush and floss your teeth, they’ll get yellow. Period.
As you see, 4 out of the 5 factors mentioned above are modifiable (genetics being the only exception), and that’s the best starting point. It’s recommended to start teeth whitening procedures only after you fix these lifestyle issues, otherwise there’s no real point in whitening. You’ve been warned. 🙂
Now let’s get to the interesting part!
Best At Home Blue LED Light Teeth Whitening Product Reviews
Teeth whitening at home: is it possible at all?
People all around the world invest thousands of dollars in visits to the dentist, undergo hours of exhausting procedures, often with very inconsistent results, when everything actually can be done in the comfort of your own home.
But how effective is this approach in the first place?
Here’s the thing. In-office teeth whitening procedures (the ones you visit a dentist to get done) provide instant and fabulous results thanks to deep bleaching. However, the whiteness always deteriorates a bit over the following few weeks, and that’s when home whitening systems catch up with the results.
A study published in 2009 in the Journal of Operative Dentistry confirmed that over-the-counter teeth whitening systems are as effective as in-office teeth whitening procedures 2 weeks after the initial whitening.
So if the results are virtually identical, what’s the point in going for a more expensive and less comfortable option? Home teeth whitening kits are a fabulous, effective, and much more budget-friendly approach to getting that beautiful smile you had always dreamed about.
Before we jump to our favorite products (and why exactly we love them so much), let’s take a quick look at how they work.
Teeth whitening kits: how do the work? Are they safe?
There are two types of teeth whitening: superficial and deep treatment. Basically, both are forms of teeth bleaching—but different in terms of power and depth.
Superficial teeth whitening happens on the outermost layers of your enamel. Such products and solutions bleach just the surface of your teeth, cleaning them up of stored dyes and giving your smile what seems to be a white and sparkling look. Emphasis on ”seems”, since the results are inconsistent and brief. If you value your time and money, don’t bother using superficial whitening solutions: these include charcoal products, whitening powders, and standalone strips.
Deep teeth bleaching, on the other hand, is much more long-lasting and effective. Instead of cleaning just the surface of the teeth, these solutions go deeper and eradicate more of the coloring chemicals, providing a gleaming whiteness for much longer.
How do you achieve deeper whitening? Usually, this is done by activating the bleaching chemicals with special light and using special trays to ensure the teeth will be in contact with the solution for as much time as needed. Now, in order to activate the bleaching agents, the classic option was to use ultraviolet light (UV), but studies have found out that it isn’t absolutely safe and may even slightly increase your risk of cancer.
The modern solution is to use LED light to activate the bleaching agent, ensuring deeper whitening and a long-lasting effect without any health dangers.
Now, we’ve tested out dozens of different teeth whitening kits and formed a list of the top 5 best teeth whitening solutions that you can buy at Amazon right now—and start wearing your Hollywood smile tomorrow already!
Let’s get to know our superstar products. 🙂
The 5 Best Teeth Whitening Kits You Can Buy At Amazon
AuraGlow Teeth Whitening Kit:
Hands down, the AuraGlow is our all-time favorite teeth whitening kit. No matter how hard we looked at it, how meticulously we searched for flaws, how harsh our evaluation criteria were—AuraGlow aced all our tests.
Convenience & comfort
The AuraGlow features a one-size-fits-all mouthpiece comes ready to use, no shaping required, as it’s made from top-quality silicone that adjusts to the shape of your teeth. What’s also great is that this mouthpiece comes already attached to a LED emitter with a built-in timer with automatic alerts. In other words, using the AuraGlow is a pure breeze: your hands are free, you don’t check the time, just apply the solution to the mouthpiece, put it in your mouth, and whiten up!
The whitening solution (35% carbamide peroxide gel) in the AuraGlow kit comes pre-loaded in special 5 ml syringes that are easy to use and rarely cause any mess whatsoever. The pack comes with enough whitening gel for about 20 whitening sessions, but it’s unlikely you’ll need them all since the results are visible after the first treatment already. Remember to use the AuraGlow no more than once per day and for intervals no longer than 30 minutes.
- The manufacturer affirms that the AuraGlow solution doesn’t cause any increase in teeth sensitivity (a common problem after many teeth whitening kits), and this proved to be true in our case. But then again, no one from our team had sensitive teeth even before the whitening, so you’d still better be careful if you have sensitive teeth right now.
- The AuraGlow comes with a special case so you can store everything clean and in style. Nice!
AuraGlow Teeth Whitening Kit Pros :
- great results after the first session already; no increase in teeth sensitivity; very comfortable mouthpiece; LED light with times, can be used hands-free
AuraGlow Teeth Whitening Kit Cons:
- Cons: we found none, at least at the time being. For some people, however, a universal mouthpiece may not bring optimal results (custom mouthpieces may be a better option for people with malocclusion or misaligned teeth). Also, keep in mind that peroxide gels may not be suitable for people with sensitive gums, but that’s not an issue of the product itself.
Cali White Teeth Whitening Kit :
Cali White is another superstar from the world of teeth whitening home kits, with an amazing rating of 4.5 stars at Amazon. We’ve tested it out, and this product really lives up to its fame: we had a hard time choosing between this one and the previous kit to name as the best ever.
Convenience & comfort
The Cali White kit comes in a stylish case and has everything you need for a comfortable procedure, and even more: contrary to the previous item on this list, this product contains two customizable mouthpieces to ensure a better fit in your mouth! Most people won’t need them (the universal mouthpiece is just great), but these custom trays will really make a difference in people with teeth misalignment. The LED light has a convenient built-in timer to help you control the application time, which is also great!
Cali White comes packed with 2 syringes pre-loaded with 35% carbamide peroxide gel—GMO-free, gluten-free, kosher, and 100% vegan. The top-quality solution is enough to provide apparent results after the first session and whiten up your teeth up to 8 times after just a week of consistent use. That’s an outstanding result for the product’s price (just bit over $30).
- Contains 2 customizable thermoform trays for people who want some extra comfort (or require it due to medical conditions) and didn’t like the universal mouthpiece enough.
- The storage case is really stylish and the instructions provided are incredibly detailed.
Cali White Teeth Whitening Kit Pros:
- outstanding results for an affordable price; customizable mouthpieces; the whitening gel was formulated with sensitive teeth in mind; LED light with convenient timer.
Cali White Teeth Whitening Kit Cons:
- the only reason why this product is listed second is that it has fewer reviews than AuraGlow on Amazon at the time being. Don’t get us wrong, this doesn’t mean the product is bad or anything—just younger than the top option, and thus should be considered with a tiny bit of caution.
Active Wow Teeth Whitening – Premium Kit :
Some companies try SO hard to make their products work better than their competitors’ that they seem to forget a bit about user convenience, and this is the problem with the Active Wow Teeth Whitening kit. It’s still great, still worth your attention—but way less convenient than the previous two options. Let’s see why.
Convenience & comfort
Universal mouthpieces are great because you can use them right away without going through all that bother of personalized shaping. Yes, you may get a somewhat less tailored fit—but who cares if you get the result you paid for, meaning whiter teeth? Adding an extra customizable mouthpiece is a good idea (cheers to Cali White), but having ALL of them customizable… We don’t think that’s right.
Active Wow has THREE thermo-molded mouthpieces and NO universal trays. This means that you will have to customize your tray before getting to action, and you’ll have three tries to do it right. It isn’t hard or anything, but we’d still prefer to see a universal option for the lazy folks.
That being said, the custom mouthpieces are very comfortable to wear after molding (more pleasant than universal trays), so think this option through.
The whitening gel in Active Wow is a bit more concentrated (and thus more powerful) than the solutions used in AuraGlow and CaliWhite, but this single percent doesn’t really make a difference. All three products are roughly the same in terms of effectiveness.
What’s great about active wow specifically is that it contains two pre-loaded syringes with remineralization solutions. In other words, after Active Wow your teeth won’t be just whiter but also stronger and sturdier to endure the challenges of life! 🙂
- We’ve tested the effectiveness of the remineralization gel (after whitening and without any whitening procedures), and it really works. Cheers for Active Wow for including it in the bundle!
Active Wow Teeth Whitening Pros:
- A slightly more powerful gel than in the previous products; thermo-molded mouthpieces to fit any mouth; remineralization solution included to strengthen up teeth
Active Wow Teeth Whitening Cons:
- No universal mouthpieces included (molding the custom trays can get a bit messy, although most people don’t have any problems with this
Crest 3D White Whitestrips With Light:
While some companies chase the results and forget convenience (like Active Wow), some other products seem like they focus too much on the convenience and that’s why the results they provide aren’t perfect—that’s the case with Crest 3d White.
Convenience & comfort
Forget about the syringes, forget about the mess: just clean, semi-transparent pretty stripes that you put on your teeth for an hour and then activate with a LED light. Sounds cool, right? The idea is great, the convenience is amazing, everything in the Crest 3D whitening kit is incredibly easy to use.
We didn’t notice any side effects, discomfort, pain, or increased sensitivity after use.
If all previous products reviewed in this showdown featured carbamide peroxide as the active whitening compound, the Crest 3D whitestrips contain hydrogen peroxide instead. Both substances are actively used by professional dentists, and both work equally well. We’re mentioning this fact so that it doesn’t come as a surprise for you.
Another important thing to understand is that the strips, well, they work only on the surface you’ve applied them to. So, you put them on the front of your teeth—and this is the surface that will be whitened, contrary to when you use whitening gel in mouthpieces, covering all surfaces of the teeth.
Last but not least, the strips seem to provide less dramatic results than the whitening gels of the previously described products. Most likely, this product won’t be suitable for people with significantly stained teeth like long-time smokers, for example.
- The whitening strips in this product have to be worn for a whole hour before activating them with the LED light, and some people find this annoying.
- The LED light should be thrown away after finishing the full course of Crest 3D whitening. It can be used again for another round of whitening sessions, and the battery is non-replaceable.
Crest 3D White Whitestrips With Light Pros:
- Really easy to use, no need to apply any gel or wear mouthpieces.
Crest 3D White Whitestrips With Light Cons:
- This product is less powerful than all other products on this list; the LED light must be thrown away after you finish all whitening session; the whitening strips have to be worn for an hour before being activated; the strips whiten up mostly the surface they are applied to, and have little effect on the other surfaces of the teeth.
Shine Whitening Teeth Whitening Kit:
To finish up, here goes the most controversial product in our showdown. It has several major advantages over the other options, but quite a few drawbacks as well. The final verdict is up to you, but here’s our honest opinion.
Convenience & comfort
The most amazing thing about the Shine Whitening kit is that you don’t have to use it daily to achieve solid results. Initial changes are seen after the first session but thanks to the unique blend of carbide peroxide and hydrogen peroxide the solution is able to work slowly over the following days. Just repeat the session whenever it’s convenient for you!
On the other hand, this product features a significant inconvenience as well: it contains just one moldable mouthpiece. Mess it up and you’ll have to order another kit. Sorry.
While all other whitening kits require you to use them daily for optimal results, the Shine Whitening home kit can be used whenever you feel like it. We know that this sounds like it’s too good to be true, but it actually works. Not as great as with regular whitening schedules, but hey—some people have really busy lives, and this would work great for them.
- The Shine Whitening kit contains several pre-loaded syringes with a top-quality remineralization gel to strengthen your teeth. For more features and specifications you need to checkout company website. You can also find some important features at Amazon.
Shine Whitening Teeth Whitening Kit Pros :
- perfect for busy people, as it doesn’t have to be used daily; contains several syringes with remineralization gel
Shine Whitening Teeth Whitening Kit Cons:
- This product has just ONE mountable mouthpiece, so if you mess it up you will be required to buy a whole new kit, NOT suitable for people who can’t or don’t want to risk; it seems that the provided results aren’t as great as in the first 3 products—maybe that’s due to the absence of daily usage.
As you see, getting yourself a brilliant smile isn’t as hard as it seems, neither it costs a fortune. In fact, you can get professional-looking results for as much as $30 and a single week of daily use. Moreover, some of the top products mentioned in this review contain special remineralization formulas that will ensure your teeth aren’t just pretty but also strong as hell.
Before you rush to buy the product that has caught your eye, please remember what we’ve discussed in the start of this article: there are several modifiable lifestyle factors that determine how long will this white smile of yours last.
There’s no point in whitening your teeth and then go around drinking 5 cups of coffee and smoking 2 packs of cigarettes per day. Your teeth will be as stained as previously in just a month or so, and that won’t be the product’s fault.
So please make sure to follow the initial list of recommendations—and rest assured that any of the fabulous products mentioned above will bring you outstanding results for several months to come!