Introduction to Tongue Scraper
Brushing your teeth is a practice which you follow religiously. For many, their day doesn’t exactly start until they brush their teeth. However, even after brushing your teeth (maybe even twice a day), you experience bad breath. Even mouthwashes don’t do the trick in such cases. One very important part we often tend to forget is that it is equally important to clean your tongue. Whatever you eat or drink, is bound to pass over your tongue. Virtually anything you put into your mouth comes in contact with your tongue and yet people brush their teeth but not their tongue! Not taking care of the tongue causes a white colored layer of bacteria, food particles, saliva and dirt to form on the upper surface of your tongue. It is critical to get rid of this layer to pave the way for good oral hygiene.
This purpose is served by employing tongue cleaners. These devices help in getting rid of this layer. Tongue cleaners should be used with care without going about it too vigorously as that might lead to gag reflex and damage to the taste buds. With proper usage, tongue cleaners should become a mandatory addition to your oral care regimen. Let us check out the 5 best tongue cleaners of which you should seriously contemplate getting at least one:
5 Best Tongue Scrapers
Dr. Tung’s Tongue Scraper
The Dr. Tung’s tongue cleaner is undoubtedly one of the best of the lot. This widely regarded, highly rated and bestselling tongue cleaner has really set the bar with its simplistic design and flawless efficiency. It is made up of stainless steel and comes with a nice handle which also provides a very good grip. The handle is designed to not induce fatigue and facilitate good cleaning of your tongue, while making sure you obtain good control over the functioning of the device. The curved stainless steel cleaner is neither too thick nor too thin, so you do not have to fear about getting your tongue or lips scraped though you should be a little careful about the edges. In a nutshell, this is one of the best tongue cleaners we have come across. Get it!
- The handle offers a very good grip and control.
- It is pretty durable.
- The stainless steel cleaner has a very acceptable thickness.
- The device can be cleaned by simply rinsing it with warm water and wiping properly.
- The stainless steel offers good amount of flexibility.
- It is a little sharp on the edge.
Amano Tongue Scraper
This incredibly sassy tongue scarper is one of the most stylish looking ones. And make no mistake about it, this tongue cleaner meets style with substance as it is one of the most efficient ones around. The handles are extremely ergonomic and boy, do they look great! The cleaner is made up of 18/10 Austenitic steel- an alloy of high grade nickel and chromium, and is U-shaped. The edges of the cleaner are nicely made and there are hardly any cases of the tongue or lips getting cut. Trust us, this tongue cleaner is not only going to make your tongue and motuh feel better, but would also make your oral care arsenal look cooler!
- The handles have very attractive coloration and hold.
- The steel cleaner is extremely durable.
- The cleaner is U-shaped and it facilitates the cleaning process.
- It is also great for ingrown hairs.
- They are quite durable.
- The handle tends to give away after a certain number of uses.
- They do not offer too much stability.
Orabrush Tongue Scraper
The Orabrush tongue cleaner is equipped with both a scarper and bristles. These two work very well together to give your tongue a thorough cleanup. The handle is akin to that of a toothbrush and we positively feel that the handle is going to last for a really long time. Along with that, the handle has a very ergonomic design and is great to hold. It merges well along with your regular toothbrush and it really helps that both need replacement at around the same time period.
- The handle is very strong, durable and easy to hold.
- The tongue cleaner lasts long and can be replaced at around the same time as your toothbrush.
- The bristles are very soft and apart from the initial tickling sensation, they function pretty well.
- The bristles tend to tickle in the initial stages, but you will get used to it.
- It is relatively expensive.
DenTek Comfort Clean Tongue Scraper
This plastic tongue cleaner is a welcome departure from the usual metallic scraper that most tongue cleaners have. The scraper comes with a vintage mint flavor that transfers to the tongue and the fresh states stays for a good duration of the day. The head is pretty wide and covers a substantial area of the tongue, thus making it easier for you to maneuver the tongue cleaner over your tongue with minimal number of strokes. All in all, this is a very neat product that you are going to enjoy using.
- The plastic structure of the cleaner makes it soft on your tongue.
- There is no harsh scraping as experienced by most metallic cleaners.
- There are 3 scraping edges which give your tongue a thorough cleanup.
- It has a comfort strip that conforms to the shape of your tongue.
- The handle of the tongue cleaner is similar to that of a toothbrush.
- The head covers a good portion of the tongue and this calls for a minimal number of strokes to clean the tongue.
- The mint lining wears off after prolonged usage of the tongue cleaner.
- The head of the tongue cleaner is structurally weaker than its metallic counterparts, and this might affect the device’s durability.
HealthAndYoga Surgical Grade Stainless Steel Tongue Scraper
The HealthAndYoga tongue cleaner is one of the finest ones we have reviewed. It bears a very attractive all-metal design which also includes the handles/grips. While this may seem to pose as an issue when the device is wet, it is worth noting that the handles are hardly ever exposed to moisture. So it is not much of an issue.
It is marketed as having surgical steel, which, other than the grade of steel, isn’t much different from our traditional stainless steel. However, the grade of steel used in this tongue cleaner is softer and the edges are more rounded. Nonetheless, it is quite firm as a scraper. There is a decent amount of flexibility and we must say that this product is very durable. In fact, this product is known to be as good as new even a year after unpacking it, No wonder it is the most expensive off the tongue cleaners that we have reviewed. The crux of the matter is that the HealthAndYoga tongue cleaner it totally worth it and the sleek metallic design makes it all the more special. This is truly one of the best tongue cleaners.
- The steel is soft yet firm.
- It is extremely durable and is known to be as good as new even after a year of usage.
- The edges of the cleaner are well rounded and do not cut into your tongue and lips.
- It is one of the most comfortable tongue cleaners.
- There is no provision provided to store the tongue cleaner (like a pouch).
Tongue scrapers are the perfect partner to your toothbrush and since they are built to last, you can inculcate the usage of a tongue cleaner into your daily oral care regimen. These products effectively get rid of all the debris on the surface of your tongue. Just make sure you don’t scrape too hard on your tongue and rinse the tongue cleaner after use. We can declare that you would enjoy using those tongue emojis more than ever when you start cleaning your tongue! 😛
The tongue scrapers stated in this article are the finest and every one of these products fulfill their purpose with elan. However, we like the Dr. Tung’s tongue scraper more than the others (well, who doesn’t like this particular one!). Though all of them are exceptional products, we found Dr, Tung’s to be just a notch higher than the rest.